Congratulations to IIUM Model United Nations Club
Tarikh : 28 November 2018
Dilaporkan Oleh : MUHAMAD ZAMIR BIN ZAINUL ABIDIN
Kategori : Announcements
IIUM World Debate and Oratory Centre (IWON) would like to congratulate IIUM Model United Nations Club members for their achievements at the Malaya Model United Nations Conference 2018 held on 15-18 November 2018. This is the first edition of MUN Conference organised by the University of Malaya MUN Club. IIUM delegates won the Best Delegation Award (Grand Prize) due to their individual achievements in their respective councils. IIUM MUN Club members come from across different Kulliyyahs of IIUM.
Model United Nations, also known as Model UN or MUN, is an extra-curricular activity in which students typically role-play delegates to the United Nations and simulate different UN committees. UN Committee style debate, negotiations and informal discussions take place at MUN conferences and at the end of the conferences, outstanding delegates in each committee are recognised and given awards.
The Malaya Model United Nations Conference saw a total of 153 students from more than 40 countries participating. After 3 days of deliberation and negotiation with other delegates, the IIUM delegation emerged as the overall champions over 38 other teams bagging the Best Delegation Award. Apart from the Best Delegation Award, IIUM delegates also won various individual awards in their respective councils. The details of the IIUM MUN members with their achievements are as follows:
1. Umar Zulkarnain (AIKOL) won the Best Delegate Award (1st place) in The Economic and Social Council.
2. Tahsin Fuad (KOE) won the Best Delegate Award (1st place) in Special Political and Decolonization Committee.
3. Huzaifa Fazal (KOE) won the Best Delegate Award (1st place) in the African Union Council.
4. Sukainah Abdulqader (KIRKHS) won the Verbal Commendation Award (3rd place) in the UN Security Council.
5. Mahmoud Breika (KOE) won the Verbal Commendation Award (3rd place) in The Economic and Social Council.
6. Mehrin Fathima (KIRKHS) won the Verbal Commendation Award (3rd place) in Special Political and Decolonization Committee.