PhD in English Language Studies
The Ph.D of Human Science in English Language Studies programme aims to develop professionals in fields ranging from education, public service, consultancy, academic and related services. Another of its objectives is to produce skilled personnel with excellent grasp of the English language, instilling in them knowledge of rhetorical and linguistic skills to conduct research and produce academic and professional materials in the field.
The programme normally requires three years of full time study or five years on a part time basis. Students in this programme are engaged in in-depth study of the linguistic aspects of the English language. Students have a choice of selecting the ‘coursework and thesis’ or ‘thesis only’ programme. This programme trains students to become independent researchers in the future.
- CGPA of 3 (out of 4.0) or the equivalent
- Relevant working experience will be an added advantage
- A research proposal
- University requirements as stated in the application form
- For international applicants: TOEFL (600) or IELTS (Band 7.0)
- For Malaysian applicants: TOEFL (600) or IELTS (Band 7.0) or EPT (Band 7.0)
- If the degree was obtained from a university in an English speaking
- country, applicants may request a waiver of this requirement in writing
Department of English Language & Literature
Tel: +603 6421 6020/6021
Fax: +603 6421 5148