INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ISLAMIC THOUGHT AND CIVILISATION (ISTAC-IIUM)
Welcome to the
International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilisation (ISTAC), lnternational Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Kuala Lumpur.
"We welcome students from all parts of the world to pursue outrageous dreams, embark on the endeavors most pivotal to the future, and fulfill the intellectual and spiritual aspects of a postgraduate journey."
is dedicated to engaging in advanced-level study and research about Islamic thought and civilisation at the national and global levels, with the goal to nurture comparative, cultural, and civilisational studies that is devoted to the renewal of Islam and human civilisation.
has an international level of scholars and academics with expertise in Islamic thought and civilisation and world-recognised research contributions in its niche areas of specialisation. Its library is one of the best, with valuable manuscripts in Malay, Arabic, Ottoman Turkish, Persian, and Urdu languages. There is plenty of opportunities for research in manuscript studies.
ISTAC HIGHLIGHTS Issue 001/Jan- March 2023
is available for view at: ISTAC HIGHLIGHTS Website
REWANG BUBUR LAMBUK X COMMUNITY DAY NO.3/2023
Friday, 17 March 2023
24 Sha'ban 1444
In the spirit of welcoming the holy month of Ramadan, the Zabedah Mosque of ISTAC-IIUM was delighted to organise the "Rewang Bubuk Lambuk X Community Day" on Friday, 17th March 2023. The programme included ISTAC-IIUM's staff, students and the community around. Joining together was Prof. Emeritus Tan Sri Dato' Dzulkifli bin Abdul Razak, the rector of IIUM and Professor Dr. Abdul Aziz Berghout, the dean of ISTAC-IIUM. The bubur lambuk was distributed to the people after the Jumu'ah prayers.
RECENT BOOK LAUNCH
Tanah Air, Passing Through The Malay Archipelago
by Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican
|Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican newest book entitled Tanah Air, Passing Through The Malay Archipelago, published by ISTAC-IIUM Publications was launched at the KL Alternative Book Fest 2023 on the 25th of February 2023. Tanah Air discourse offers a fresh way of looking at how civilisations in the world interact with one another and how it contributes to the emergence of cosmopolitanism in the Nusantara. Congratulations to Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican for the publication of the new book.|
COURTESY VISIT OF
HH 42ND SAKYA TRIZIN, RATNA VAJRA RINPOCHE
the 42nd throne holder of Sakya lineage, a branch of Tibetan Buddhism
28 March 2023, 2.30-3.30pm
Ibn Khaldun Conference Room & Syed Naquib Al-Attas Library, ISTAC-IIUM
HH Ratna Vajra Rinpoche, along with a group of 30 people from the Vajrayana Buddhist Council of Malaysia (a national council and an umbrella body representing the primary four schools of Tibetan Buddhism, namely: Nyingma, Sakya, Kagyu, and Gelug), paid a courtesy visit to ISTAC-IIUM, to engage with the Muslim scholars and students, as well as to know more about Malaysia, being one of the exemplary countries of the Muslim world.
Main objectives of ISTAC-IIUM’s programmes
(1) ISTAC-IIUM advancing the cause of renewal of Islamic thought & civilisation for global relevance.
(2) Nurturing quality & value-driven scholars and graduates for balanced civilisational development.
(3) Positioning ISTAC-IIUM as a leading centre of transformation and knowledge creation and application for sustainable societal development.
(4) Championing responsible integrated research (Inter-multi & transdisciplinary).
(5) Advancing Malay World and Islamic Civilisation studies.
(6) Leading in spiritual, cultural & civilisational integrated niche areas.
ISTAC-IIUM’s niche areas
(1) Islamic Thought, Civilisation and Sustainable Development
(2) Epistemology, Spirituality and Intellectuality in Islamic Civilisation
(3) Religious and Comparative Civilisational Studies
(4) Malay‐Islamic Civilisation and the Modern World
(5) Peace and Security Studies from a Civilisational Perspective
(6) Islam, Family and Gender Studies