INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ISLAMIC THOUGHT AND CIVILISATION (ISTAC-IIUM)
Welcome to the
International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilisation (ISTAC), lnternational Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Kuala Lumpur.
is dedicated to engaging in advanced-level study and research about Islamic thought and civilisation at the national and global levels, with the goal to nurture comparative, cultural, and civilisational studies that is devoted to the renewal of Islam and human civilisation.
has an international level of scholars and academics with expertise in Islamic thought and civilisation and world-recognised research contributions in its niche areas of specialisation. Its library is one of the best, with valuable manuscripts in Malay, Arabic, Ottoman Turkish, Persian, and Urdu languages. There is plenty of opportunities for research in manuscript studies.
We welcome students from all parts of the world to pursue outrageous dreams, embark on the endeavors most pivotal to the future, and fulfill the intellectual and spiritual aspects of a postgraduate journey.
RAMADHAN ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTIVITIES
FROM MASJID ZABEDAH
FROM SYED MUHAMAMD NAQUIB AL-ATTAS LIBRARY
RECENT BOOK LAUNCH
Tanah Air, Passing Through The Malay Archipelago
by Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican
Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican with his newest book entitled Tanah Air, Passing Through The Malay Archipelago, published by ISTAC-IIUM Publications. Launched at the KL Alternative Book Fest 2023 on the 25th of February 2023.
Tanah Air discourse offers a fresh way of looking at how civilisations in the world interact with one another and how this interaction contributes to the emergence of cosmopolitanism in the Nusantara. Congratulations to Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican for the publication of the new book.
COURTESY VISIT OF
HH 42ND SAKYA TRIZIN, RATNA VAJRA RINPOCHE
the 42nd throne holder of Sakya lineage, a branch of Tibetan Buddhism
DATE : 28 March 2023
TIME : 2.30-3.30pm
LOCATION: Ibn Khaldun Conference Room & Syed Naquib Al-Attas Library, ISTAC-IIUM
ACCOMPANIED BY: Vajrayana Buddhist Council of Malaysia
Main objectives of ISTAC-IIUM’s programmes
(1) ISTAC-IIUM advancing the cause of renewal of Islamic thought & civilisation for global relevance.
(2) Nurturing Quality & value-driven Scholars and graduates for balanced civilisational development.
(3) Positioning ISTAC-IIUM as a Leading Centre of transformation and knowledge creation and application for sustainable societal development.
(4) Championing responsible integrated research (Inter-multi & transdisciplinary).
(5) Advancing Malay world Islamic Civilisation Studies.
(6) Leading in spiritual, cultural & civilisational integrated niche area
ISTAC-IIUM’s niche areas
(1) Islamic Thought, Civilization and Sustainable Development
(2) Epistemology, Spirituality and Intellectuality in Islamic Civilisation
(3) Religious and Comparative Civilizational Studies
(4) Malay‐Islamic Civilisation and the Modern World
(5) Peace and Security Studies from a Civilizational Perspective
(6) Islam, Family and Gender Studies