Bachelor of Biotechnology (Honours)
|Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons)
|Biotechnology involves multiple discipline in which biological processes, organisms, cells or cellular components are exploited to develop new useful technologies in research, agriculture, industry and the clinic. Applications of biotechnology range from a simple screening of the useful compound to the production of tissues, drugs, synthetic hormones and enzymes. For example, the use of genetically-altered bacteria (or higher organisms) in the bioconversion of organic wastes, biofuels, treatment of oil spills or as bulk foodstuffs have been the main concerns of modern biotechnology. Biotechnology offered here focuses on four concentrations which are food, environmental and medical biotechnology where the students are able to choose any of these in the 3rd year of their studies. Therefore, our graduates will have the capability to understand and master the fundamental subjects related to biotechnology and apply those knowledge according to their own research interest in their final year of study.
|• To demonstrate the
comprehensive understanding of biotechnology and other the basic
sciences that form the core principle underpinning main areas of
• To be able to apply the theoretical knowledge of biotechnology and obtain the basic laboratory skills relevant to biotechnology
• To recognize the use of basic biotechnology equipment
• To analyze, synthesize and integrate the knowledge of biotechnology and relevant biological science areas
• Able to design (to a limited scale) and be able to conduct basic and simple guided experiment as the foundation to future research
• Communicate and demonstrate interpersonal skills
• Able to disseminate knowledge and information to general public concerning the importance of biotechnology.
• To seek, adapt and provide solutions to address the challenges and concerns in biotechnology.
• Able to manage and use biotechnology information as the foundation for self-development and continuous improvement.
• Demonstrate an understanding and awareness of basic commercial, ethical, legal and social issues related to biotechnology
• Able to integrate the knowledge of biotechnology with Islamic perspective for the benefit of the Ummah
• Demonstrate an understanding of basic principles and entrepreneurship in biotechnology
• Demonstrate leadership qualities and able to work in a team
|Expected areas of graduate employment:
|The nature of this
programme has been further enhanced with essence of Islamic virtue, the
specialty of the international Islamic University Malaysia, making it
all the more unique and appropriate to cater for the Islamic world. The
Department of Biotechnology at the International Islamic University
Malaysia, is active, rapidly expanding and exploring new frontiers with
strong foundations in research and teaching. It is equipped with
excellent academic staff running major research groups, paving the way
to students to obtain the latest knowledge and securing well defined
research areas. We have presently identified three areas of
concentration namely Food Biotechnology, Environmental Biotechnology and Medical Biotechnology. We hope to make you a highly demanded scientist in
scientific market. Our service to you is your service to the Ummah. We
offer packages of concentration courses that complement the core
curriculum and extend the students' choices within the Biotechnology
area. There are 3 concentration areas, namely: Food, Environmental and Medical Biotechnology Graduates from
the department, besides being skilled professionals, will be imbued
with Islamic world view, perspective and values.
Duration of Study
|The course takes four years of full-time study to